Arctic Medicine: Arctic Medicine, Day 1

 

Friday, January 02, 2009

Arctic Medicine, Day 1

I was soo sad to leave my fiance yesterday. He is my most favourite fiance ever and I love him to bits! He knew I hated Vancouver for the trouble it gave me in the past. By this, I am referring to being stuck there for 4 days during 9-11, repeatedly being harassed by customs, and the fact that my fiance is M.I.A there. Anyway, I never thought I would say this about Vancouver but I really enjoyed my time there and wish I didn't have to leave. We didn't really do much, but I guess now I really understand it when people say that you can grow to love a place just for its people. In this case, my opinion changed for Vancouver because of my fiance. I can tell he tried so hard to make me enjoy myself there.. by renting a car, making me feel comfortable in his tiny place, and just giving me a really wonderful experience. 

My flight out of Vancouver was pretty good, except for my experience in "Deadmonton" airport. First of all, our flight out of Vancouver was delayed for 4 hrs. I loved this because it gave me an extra couple hours to spend with Michael! But AirCanada could have notified us to check in an extra 2 hrs later because we ended up wasting 2 hrs on the plane waiting for it to take-off, which was super annoying. Deadmonton was the first stop. We waited 45 mins at the luggage carousel, and our luggage was nowhere to be seen. Then, our flight number disappeared from the luggage carousel and everybody freaked out. But what pissed everyone off was that in the minutes following, we went to the AirCanada baggage information desk to find NO ONE there! Another victim of the AirCanada baggage disappearance told me she heard that the luggage compartment door of our plane was iced shut. Anyway, we eventually got our bags.. but I have to say that AirCanada has really bad service!!
The flight out of Deadmonton was via Canadian North Airlines, which is fantastic. If more people knew about how good their service was, I am sure they would win a prize for it. I got 2 breakfasts, and snacks which were all yummy, for a 5 hour flight. The flight attendants were very friendly too. We stopped by Norman Wells. It was so cold there that even with my Canada Goose jacket on, I could feel myself beginning to freeze. I learned later that it was -48C there at the time!
After almost 18 hrs in transit, I am now in the town of Inuvik. It has a population of 3000 including surrounding remote sites: Aklavik, Tuktoyaktuk, Fort McPherson, Sachs Harbour, Paulatuk, Ulahaktok, Tsiigehtchic, Fort Good Hope, and Colville Lake. Its inhabitants are comprised of 60% non-native, 25% Inuit, and 15% Metis. This town has the only hospital North of the Arctic Circle.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home